Saturday, October 18, 2008

Bleep, What the?

Soooooooo......What the Bleep. I don't know, I didn't really like the movie as much as I thought I would. I love the topic of quantum physics and took a class on it back in my IU Bloomington days, but somehow this movie didn't quite do it for me. I guess maybe it just wasn't quite what I expected. I had heard that it was about quantum physics, so I think I was expecting a movie something bordering on a scientific documentary, and that wasn't what it was as far as I'm concerned. In fact, I'm not totally sure how I would classify it. There just didn't seem to be any cohesiveness to it. It felt like the makers sat down at a table, brainstormed a bunch of really wild ideas (some of which were admittedly pretty cool), and went down the list making a scene about each idea and smashing it all together. I really can't explain why, but the line that inspired the most thought from me was right near the beginning. It was, "what are thoughts made of?" I'm sure the makers didn't intend for that to be their moment of triumph, but it was my favorite part. It made me say, hey yeah, what ARE thoughts made of...some kind of electrical impulse I guess but that doesn't really explain how they are stored or processed. A computer uses strings of 1's and 0's, what does our brain use? and so on... I don't mean to be completely negative about the movie, I don't regret watching it once at all, and it had it's thought-provoking moments, I'm just not sure I'm that interested in watching it again. Maybe this was covered in class, I wasn't there, but it looks like they have made another movie in this same series claiming the newer ones provide the "deeper experience audiences have been asking for," so maybe that would be worth checking out.

No comments: